Update on Life Plans
What is for sure, what is in flux, and what needs to be done?
1. Look over this lesson on variables and functions
2. Complete 3.1.6 (show Mr. H when complete)
Pick one of the following projects to complete:
Problem 1: Start / Finish Line (Hardware Level 1 Software Level 4)
The Olympic committee would like your team to invent a control system for use with track and field running events. They want this device to automatically record the time and flash an LED when the first runner crosses the start / finish line.
Problem 2: Soccer Goal Light (Hardware Level 2 Software Level 3)
Your team has been asked to design a control system for the local soccer field that can detect when the ball has entered the goal. A light must blink for 10 seconds after a goal is scored. Remember, the goalie and others will also be crossing the goal frequently. You may need to modify the ball so that your device can differentiate between the soccer ball and other objects.
Problem 3: Automated Guided Vehicle (Hardware Level 2 Software Level 4)
An assembly plant would like for your team to design an Automated Guided Vehicle, AGV, to drive in a straight line back and forth to deliver batches of parts. The vehicle must travel back and forth based on closed loop control. The AGV will not start until a button on the robot is pressed. When the same button is held at the end of a cycle, the robot will stop after completing a trip back and forth.
Problem 4: Cable Winding Mechanism (Hardware Level 3 Software Level 3)
A telecommunications contractor needs your team to design a device that can accurately wind up a specific length of cable. The device must be able to wind a specific length consistently. The device must also be able to be started and stopped (emergency) by using a switch.
Problem 5: Elevator (Hardware Level 4 Software Level 4)
A company would like to begin producing residential elevators. Your team must design the control system and a prototype of an elevator that can go between three floors in any combination. The prototype must include a set of three switches to represent each floor of the elevator. Each floor the elevator stops at must have a call button and a set of three lights to indicate where the elevator is currently located. A built-in safety mechanism requires that the elevator normally rest on the ground floor and return to the ground floor after a user-determined period of nonuse.
Problem 6: Surgical Robot Arm (Hardware Level 2 Software Level 4)
A surgical supplier needs a robotic arm to move equipment within a sterile environment. Your team must design a remotely operated arm with 3 degrees of freedom: Base that pivots, arm that raises and lowers, and pinch mechanism.
Problem 7: Chocolate Cookie Topper (Hardware Level 4 Software Level 2)
A cookie factory needs your team to design a device that will put a chocolate drop on top of their peanut butter cookies. The machine must position a cookie on a separate device that will then move it into position for a dropper to descend and dispense the chocolate drop. The cookie with the chocolate drop should then move to another position where it will be placed with other finished cookies to await inspection and packaging.
Problem 8: Line following Car (Hardware Level 2, Software 4)
You will make a car that will follow a black electrical tape line on the floor. The track will be constructed in a circle type configuration. The most effective cars will probably include a line follower and have 2 wheels similar to a segway with bogie wheels in the front and back as balance.
Problem 9: Student design project (Signed off on by Mr. Hendrikse Before beginning.
The Goal For Today
The Goal For Today
- Admin Forms
Unit 1: Forces and Interactions
- Unit 2: Civil Engineering >
- Unit 3: Waves >
- Unit 4: Earth and Human Activity >
- Unit 5: Astronomy >
- Unit 6: Electronics and Electricity >
- Unit 8: Arduino Microcontrollers
- Unit 7: Final Exam Review
- Study Tips
- Admin Forms
- Med Term Dictionary
- Chapter 1: Basic Word Structure >
- Chapter 2: Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole >
- Chapter 3: Suffixes >
- Chapter 4: Prefixes >
- Chapter 5: Digestive System >
- Chapter 6: Digestive System Suffixes >
- Chapter 7: Urinary System >
- Chapter 8: Female Reproductive System >
- Chapter 9: Male Reproductive System >
- Chapter 10: Nervous System >
- Chapter 11: Cardiovascular System
- 1st Semester Exam
- Chapter 12: Respiratory System
- Chapter 13: Blood System
- Chapter 14: Immune System
- Chapter 15: Musculoskeletal System
- Chapter 16: Skin
- Chapter 17: The Eye and Ear
- Chapter 18: The Endocrine System
- Chapter 19: Oncology
- Chapter 20: Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Chapters 21 and 22: Pharmacology and Psychiatry
- Final Exam
- 1. Nature of Science and Physics >
- 2. 1D Kinematics >
- 3. 2D Kinematics >
- 4. Dynamics: Forces and Newton's Laws >
- Quarter 1 Exam >
- 6. Uniform Circular Motion and gravitation >
- 6. Gravitation >
- 7. Work and Energy >
- 8. Linear Momentum and Collisions
- 9. Statics and Torque
- 10. Rotational Motion and Angular Momentum
- 16. Oscillatory Motion and Waves.
- 17. Physics of Hearing
- 18. Electric Charge and Field
- 19. Electric Potential and Field
- 20. Electric Current and Ohm's Law
- 21: Circuits, bioelectrity and DC Instruments
- Intervention >
- Physics >
- Defining You
- Careers in Science
- Contact Mr. Hendrikse